Wildfires won't stop at the fence line, your property line, or maybe even at the edge of town. If your property is adjacent to crops or grasslands there are some things you can do to mitigate the hazard:
- Ensure trees are cut back away from structures and fuel/propane tanks
- Clear gutters and eaves of flammable materials such as leaves, pine needles, etc.
- Park farm equipment a distance away from fence lines, and ensure the grass and weeds are mowed to a short length
- Prune trees up to 6-10 feet off the ground, or 1/3 the height of smaller trees
- Remove flammable materials from under decks and porches
- Dispose of heavy accumulations of ground litter or debris, including old wooden fence posts, pallets, tree limbs, etc.